20091121

Dublin, 1999: Fist Fights First, then I Fly

What we had was a chipped tooth
and the blood stains visible on the ground.
No one moved into the kitchen
in order to get away;
Mama let dinner burn, boil, bury
itself into the pans, inedible;
Father pulled in his pipe, slowly, shaking fist pains out;
and I,
I tasted the pooling blood pillowing my head,
a rock at the edge of a rose-pedaled bed;
no one cleared their throats, coughed, sighed
away the awkward silence.
The wooden wind stood still;
the air was the density of water;
I am floating above this Grand Scene;
have forgotten what the pain in my gums feels like,
what the mixture of spit and blood tastes like;
I can’t see the roof from here
which means I can no longer see you;
we are not in the same room, anymore,
my sister Amy is crying
because she knows that I will not wake from
the bloody bed my father has made me;
No one else is as far away from below as I am,
I am flying towards the bigger picture-
the end that I have tied to my beginning-
most of the time too afraid to look down
at the villages, the cities, the tractors and the trucks
that all line up like ants
with no where to go.

No comments: